Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Wedding soup

Wedding soup by Cooks Country

We make soup once to twice a week in our home and every so often look to simple comforting soup such as this soup by Cooks Country.


Cook's country, (http://www.cookscountry.com), and America's Test Kitchen, http://www.americastestkitchen.com offer really good well tested recipes that are tremendously easy to understand and easy to replicate with out frilly ingredients you have to order on line or search for in your speciality stores.  All you need is a pot, a bowl, measuring cups and spoons and your hands - what more can a cook ask for.  (cook's country has you buy the magazine in order to have free access to their recipe's from the past but make their recipes available for the current years shows.)

Cooks Country shared this recipe in the post, which means I can share it with you.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sectionfront/life/three-favorite-soups-have-keystone-state-connections-474749/

 Please note *recipe in "" is posted directly from the above web link from the Post



Meatballs
  • "2 slices hearty white sandwich bread, torn into pieces (I cut off the crust)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 pound meatloaf mix"* (I used 13 ounces of ground round and 3 ounces ground pork from my local butcher) 

"For the meatballs: Using potato masher" (I used my clean hands as I find it breaks up the bread better) , "mash bread and milk in large bowl until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, except meatloaf mix, and mash to combine. Add meatloaf mix, and knead by hand until well combined. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs (you should have about 55 meatballs) and arrange on rimmed baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes. (Meatballs can be made up to 24 hours in advance.)"



"Soup
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves , minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 large head kale or swiss chard, stemmed, leaves chopped (my family does like kale or swiss chard so I use baby spinach) 
  • 1 cup orzo (pasta) ( I have used other pasta such as bows if I don't have any thing else)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • Salt and pepper (if needed - I find the broth I use doesn't need salt but I do use just a touch of pepper)



For the soup: Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook garlic and red pepper flakes until fragrant, about 30 seconds. (personally I don't like putting the heat this high unless you are really stirring and watching it as the garlic burns fast - I put mine on medium and stir it) "

"Add broth and bring to boil. Stir in kale and simmer until softened, 10 to 15 minutes." (as I use fresh baby spinach - I rinse and dry it off a bit then put the spinach in the broth and cook for a minute then I add the meatballs and the orzo or pasta as spinach doesn't need the cooking like kale does)


I use my grandmothers lettuce basket for rinsing and drying out my lettuce and in this case spinach. I remember as a little girl, visiting my grandparents in Alsace, France going out side and doing the honors of shaking out the lettuce my grandfather grew in the garden. (my grandfather with take his little knife and slice off the lettuce and place in my basket to bring to my grandmother to rinse). I always made this simple task into a sight to be seen. I would twirl and shake the lettuce basket as I looked over the hills of Alsace from my grandparents yard. As children we can make any task fun. I wish I had the same stamina and vigor but I am not sure if others would appreciate my lettuce dance now :o)   

 "Stir in meatballs and pasta," 



"reduce heat to medium, and simmer until meatballs are cooked through and pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Serve."


we serve the soup with a bit of grated parmesan 

"Note: Leftover soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Serves 6 to 8."


Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sectionfront/life/three-favorite-soups-have-keystone-state-connections-474749/#ixzz2Qe3z9xyd






No comments:

Post a Comment