Saturday, April 6, 2013

apple cheddar muffins

Apple Cheddar Muffins (America's Test Kitchen*) 
Not a sweet muffin but the apples are just the right sweetness with a breakfast muffin


Muffins:
ingrediants
2 cups flour (all purpose)
1/2 c sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoons butter (1 stick cold cut up)
8 ounces cheddar cut into 1/2 inch cubes (sometimes I am lazy and I just throw in a 8 ounces of bagged cheddar and my teenagers still like it)
-----
1 large egg
3/4 cup whole milk
------
about a pound of apples cut into "half moon"slices

Heat oven to 375 degrees (I recommend a oven thermometer as ovens vary)
My oven is always 20 degrees too hot. (not always appreciated when I forget - and yes I do forget and have had many a cookie or two in my past)

Butter and flour (shake off extra flour) a 12 muffin pan

(1)Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and cheddar into a FOOD PROCESSOR and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal and then place in a mixing bowl and put aside



(2) in a separate bowl beat 1 egg into the 3/4 cup whole milk (I just did my mixing in a measuring cup)

(3)Take the egg/milk mixture and slowly add to flour mixture stirring until moistened.
Pour batter into the 12 buttered and floured 12 cup muffin tin.

(4)Place sliced apples on top of the batter and bake for about 15 minutes or until edges are just golden - (5)take out of oven and drizzle the glaze (recipe to follow) on top of each muffin. Place the muffins back into the oven until done (about 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean)


Glaze make while muffins are cooking in oven)
in a small sauce pan put in
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

cook over medium heat until butter is melted (I just swish it around instead of using a spoon)



No comments:

Post a Comment