Monday, April 22, 2013

French Friday's with Dorie's challenge: Swiss Chard Pancakes



Swiss Chard Pancakes from Dorie Greenspan's "Around my French Table" which I highly recommend


This is a simple and tasty recipe to make, as all the ingredients are processed through a food processor.

1. Add all but the swiss chard in the processor and blend the pancake mix.
2. Add the swiss chard and process the chard minimally in the pancake mix.
3. Fry in in "1/4 inch" of oil making a pancake.

I have never made Swiss Chard before and was looking forward to the challenge.  I found the dish tasty but I would do a few things different for my family's taste.

- I would have mixed this recipe by hand as my family likes the feel and taste of onions and scallions
- I would chiffonad the swiss chard to get the full taste of the chard
-The Swiss chard pancakes, cooked as the recipe suggested, used too much oil for my family's taste. I would brush the pan with oil as you would regular pancakes. (my house smelled like oil of course after ward)

What I ended up doing:

At the end of my cooking adventure I brushed oil in the pan instead of having the 1/4" oil level and proceeded to make swiss chard crepes.  I then put very thinly sliced herbed goat cheese in the warm crepe before rolling it so that the cheese melted.  My family enjoys goat cheese and I found they like the combination of the herbs, onions and swiss chard in this way better then the pancakes alone.



           INGREDIENTS PUT IN FOOD PROCESSOR (ALL BUT OIL AND SWISS CHARD)


ADD SWISS CHARD AND PROCESS MINIMALLY


COOK IN VEGETABLE, GRAPESEED OR PEANUT OIL
1/4 " DEEP (PER THE RECIPE)


No comments:

Post a Comment