Saturday, April 13, 2013

Cod and Spinach Roulade from Around my French Table by Dorie Greenspan

French Fridays with Dorie Greenspan challenge a little early...


Cod and Spinach Roulades (page 292 of "Around My French Table")

   I looked at this recipe and couldn't imagine a "fish mousse", (in this case the fish was cod), wrapped around spinach and onion placed on top of a tomato sauce.  I was a little nervous about this recipe as I thought I lacked the skills to make this dish.  I shouldn't have worried. I am not saying it was naturally easy for me but making this recipe increased my skill.  I love a good challenge just as much as I love to learn.
 
   I followed the recipe exactly to Ms. Dorie Greenspan's directions  and to my surprise I made a dish that even my most strident anti-fish family members really liked. I think the sauce plus the addition of the suggested pesto and sprinkling of good extra virgin olive oil on top of the cod and spinach roulade gave it an even deeper flavor.


The fresh tomato sauce will be used on many dishes from now on in my home!

After making the fish mousse, Dorie has the reader spread a thin layer of mousse on plastic wrap then fill it with 1/4 of the spinach filling. Taking one side of the plastic wrap fold 1/3 of the mousse over the spinach filling,


 then repeat on the other side. (making a roulade - rolled )
you will be cooking the roulade in the plastic wrap on top of steamer for about 10 minutes or until a bit springy
layer a bit of the tomato sauce layer on a plate, gently cut open the roulade. I trimmed the ends of the roulade carefully to make a neater presentation. Gently place the cod and spinach roulade on top of the sauce.  drizzle pesto and a bit of olive oil and it is done.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment