Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Alsatian Bibeleskaes - My way - simple food from my youth

As a child my mother and my grandmother served this simple dish of Bibeleskaes with boiled potatoes that were tossed with a bit of butter, some fresh parsley and salt and pepper. This verbal recipe (recette) has passed from one  generation of Haensler/Beltzung women to the next and now to you.

Note:  As I and my mother (born in Alsace, France), live in the United States we use items readily available in our markets such as cottage cheese and sour cream instead of formage blanc and creme fraiche.

I was happy to find French websites now carry written recipes of bibeleskaes using traditional ingredients such as formage blanc and creme fraiche .  You can find these items at markets such as Whole Foods and Fresh Market or from companies such as the Vermont Dairy


 Ingredients:
1 - 24 ounce 4% cottage cheese (I drain it about a 1/2 hour in the refrigerator to get some of the extra moisture out but you do not have to)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoons of chopped chives (called ciboulette in french)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 finely chopped garlic clove
s/p to your taste (I used about 1/2 a tsp salt and 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper depends on your taste) (remember when seasoning you can always add more but you can never take it away. - an important lesson that I am still learning)

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix.. c'est tout (that's it!)




here served with fingerling potatoes



We have Bibeleskaes with a fresh salad that was served with a simple dijon vinaigrette or cucumber salad. You can also serve bibeleskaes with fried potatoes instead of boiled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKsATHAJ_Ik
(connection to the french you tube version of Bibeleskaes)

No comments:

Post a Comment