Monday, April 15, 2013

Rachel Khoo's Bouillon de poulet avec des quenelles de volailles

In other words: Chicken Dumpling soup.

"soupe pour l'âme"*

I do not post recipes of cookbooks unless the chef/writer has previously released her/his recipe via the internet or on a cooking television program as a matter of principle. Recently though Rachel Khoo gave out this recipe on her television series  Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo on the Cooking Channel.  In this series, Rachel Khoo cooks beautiful food in her small Paris kitchen with simple tools.  I think you would enjoy it.

(As you can see I am not a writer. How I show my love and creativity is through my life, my wonderful family, spending as much time in nature and on the water as I can, working hard at being a good person  and through sharing my food with my family and you.)

Video for this recipe from the BBC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ggjO7qSkzs

one of her cookbooks:



her website: http://www.rachelkhoo.com

She calls this recipe: "Soup for your soul"*


1. To make the the quenelles or dumplings

 - how to make a quenelles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcIZ4aRHBU
(I think you can just make this as little meatballs and it would be just as good)

(I used a food processor for the quenelles)

7 oz. raw checken breast - (I cut it up a bit so that it would blend better in my food processor)
3-1/2 oz torn white bread no crust
6-1/2 Tablespoons half-and-half
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon salt
a pinch of pepper
a pinch of nutmeg

to make the quenelles: put ingredients into a (food processor my choice - she has a blender which is different than the blenders that we have in the states) and process until you have a smooth paste.  put aside

2. For the stock:
 6 -1/2 cups chicken stock
2 large roughly chopped carrots. (I sliced mine about 1/2" or less)
5 button mushrooms thinly sliced
s/p - only if needed (I found it didn't)
1/2 bunch of parsley leaves roughly chopped

Put the stock and carrots in large pot and bring to a boil (I covered mine)

after the carrots are cooked (I tested my carrots with a knife - you don't want mushy carrots and not hard), (I took off the lid at this point)

Next: Take the chicken dumpling quenelle paste and make quenelles (see video above)( or drop little spoon fills similar to meatballs if you don't want to make quenelles)
She says to cook the quenelles 5 minutes for large and 3 minutes for small.  they float to the surface when done.

And last: She serves it immediately with chopped parsley on top.


I served this soup along with Eirekuche (the spelling is correct from older Alsatian days - you can find wide variations of this dish on french websites probably under Eirekuchen  (crepe a la Alsacienne) and a simple salad (as we all were very hungry)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you soooooo much for posting this! A bit laid up right now and just saw a repeat of her adorable show, but couldn't find this recipe. Looks delicious! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete