Monday, March 3, 2014

times are a changing ...

I am not a writer - just a home cook that is always learning.

The other day I was fortunate enough to dine out with people I love very much.  Conversations flowed from family events, things happening in the world and finally to the trend of juicing.  Juicing, it seems, has become a normal part of eating for many in my family as a way to get healthy; especially after documentaries showed remarkable changes that the juice diet brought*. Last year kale and quinoa changed the culinary palette and now juicing (which I love) has made it's way into the American ideal for healthy eating and it got me thinking about other food trends.**


Fads and trends are always changing.. there is the good and then the bad... does anyone remember the cabbage diet.

I see food trends and fads as fluid - all depending on who brings the food items to the forefront.

The good:
- Cooking shows and cooks share lovely cultural foods from around the world. Immigration has always brought in the family recipes to share in our national diet- French, African, Indian of different areas, Pakistani, Jewish, Italian, Arabic, Scandinavian, Irish, Polish, Russian and so many more.
-Other trends come around because of health reports.
-Anything that makes us eat our fruits and veggies and makes us feel great.

The bad:
Food industries lobbying to get their industry noticed.
Advertising by certain food companies or farm supporting companies with false advertising.
 Food industries try to predict and motivate our food choices - it's a big business (1).  Is it healthy.. maybe or maybe not. It takes an educated public to know the difference. But I have noticed even the smart sensible individuals I know have fallen into following a new trend once in a while; my self included.



Looking into to the past:

I don't remember my grandmother following most food trends. She seemed comfortable with her idea of what food was supposed to do.  The older tante (aunts) and uncles and my grandparents seemed to have such a common sense to food; food was to feed the body and feed the soul of their families.

My grandmother  learned to cook first by family members and then at 17 years old, the woman that she went to work for in Paris gave her a cook book and said "cook"; so she cooked.  I remember her laughing when she told me this story. She said "I had no idea what I was doing" but again she became one of the best natural cooks I have ever met.  She didn't have a food pyramid but knew from her parents what was important, what was too much - (my grandfather would say "enough is too much", .  They didn't have meat daily but had so many vegetables and fruits - spring, summer, and fall all the items were fresh and in winter canned and stored foods were stored in the caves where wine was held.  I can't imagine how I could have my family survive, especially during world war II, if I had to grow and store food all summer.

My grandmother Bernadette - 2nd from right back row, my sweet mother (she may be small but she is mighty!)sitting in her grandmothers Lina's lap. My sweet aunt Arlette on the stone and my other dear aunt in the plaid dress  standing next to my Great grandmother and many cousins who are still in France.  

I think sometimes media and advertisements have helped us loose our common sense about food - what is good and what isn't.  Definitely myself!  I think that is why I have learned to be wary of the "super food" of the moment and trying to bring common sense and balance into my cooking so that my children learn that trends and fads are just popularity pushes in the food industry.


 My goal: Balance, good food, and lots of common sense!

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304360704579417170806726140?mod=e2fb
debate about cleanses etc.

a Wish I have: that someway that food deserts have fresh fruit and vegetables are made available to the people in those communities at a decent price on a regular basis and that abandoned building can be torn away and new community gardens are given financial and expert support.

*Documentary: Fat, Sick and nearly Dead by Joe Cross http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

**http://www.foodtimeline.org/food1.html


http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-stories/cauliflower-set-to-be-the-new-kale-in-2014-36138

(1)    http://www.foodnavigator.com/Market-Trends/What-key-trends-will-be-driving-the-food-and-drink-industry-in-2014

http://www.dairyreporter.com/Markets/US-dairy-industry-lobbying-2012-Who-spent-what-and-why

No comments:

Post a Comment