Tuesday, March 4, 2014

My dear mom in laws zucchini pie

(I am not a writer - just a home cook enjoying her family and life)

I have to admit I have become a bit of a Foodie snob.  I don't know when it exactly happened. Most likely it happened when I wanted to choose healthier options for my family because one of my children, now a young adult, started having allergy issues with certain foods. I also wanted to increase my culinary skills in the process of cooking my grandmother's recipes but I have to admit it was also for my ego.

Prepackaged foods turned out to have unpredictable affects on some of my family members. I started only cooking from scratch.  I don't make airs about things out loud but I noticed a little of a snobby attitude towards items prepared by companies. I don't think that is a bad thing but I let my ego as a home cook get in the way.  I forgot that some recipes ,that were part of my lovely family (I am blessed on both sides of my family!!!) , had merit even though they used pre-made company products.


Last night I made for my dear mom-in law, her recipe for zucchini pie as I thought that she might like to revisit some of her favorite recipes.  I forgot that my family really liked this dish!  The only problem I had with making the recipe for zucchini pie was that  "my foody sensitive palate",  do you hear snob snob... nose rising in air...",  used crescent rolls, yellow mustard and dried herbs rather than fresh
pastry and "dijon".

(do you poupon?)


     BUT OF COURSE!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkbyaazyD1U

The dish doesn't sound cohesive, but it works.  Is it gourmet... NO... but is it a family meal - yes; and its good.  I forgot how many times my d mom in law had made this dish and how it "had" been part of my dear husbands, my own and my children's back ground.  I also forgot, cooking for my family didn't need to be frou frou at all.  A family meal is just that - a meal that brings all of the family together.. no stress... just conversation and happy eating.

enjoy

My mom-in-laws zucchini pie


Her card


sautéing the zucchini and onion


Okay I will still cook from scratch as it makes me feel better as well as I know what is in it (keeping those allergic reactions at bay); but I realized I was missing a whole bunch of good tasting food for sometimes snobby reasons.

Keeping my foodie ego in check and enjoying a slice of delicious zucchini crescent roll pie as I write! It's okay that it had pillsbury crescent rolls, yellow mustard and dried herbs! Yes, this recipe is very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment