Friday, March 21, 2014

my zucchini Provencal

A fancy way of saying a mix of vegetables with tomatoes and topped with parmesan

(remember: don't shoot the picture taker (you notice how I didn't say Photographer!)


In the fridge, I had a variety of veggies I had to use up:  I had extra mushroom/onion mixture from Jacques Pepin's Kiev style chicken, zucchini, tomatoes, red pepper, basil that I had to use up. My family really likes it (even when mixed with pasta)

Saute: zucchini, chopped onion, mushrooms, and red pepper (or use what you have) in butter and olive oil (so the butter does not burn)... when tender to where you like it...

-move veggies over and saute 1 or 2 minced garlic cloves (less than a minute so it does not burn) (garlic burns very fast).  Mix the garlic with the rest of the sauteed vegetables...

Add about a tablespoon or less of tomato paste, maybe 1/2 tsp... dried basil, salt/pepper for taste and mix well... let the tomato paste caramelize for a few minutes, add 1/4 cup of red wine and let the wine cook down, add chopped tomato or canned italian tomatoes and let cook for about 5 to 10 minutes for flavors to meld.  top with parmesan and serve.  (if you have fresh basil I would add it when you add the tomatoes)

I sometimes add chives and parsley depending what is left over in the fridge!









No comments:

Post a Comment