Saturday, February 22, 2014

Julia and Jacques Pepin's stuffed cabbage.

(remember I am not a writer)

The moment I tasted Julia and Jacques Stuffed Cabbage I was suddenly transported to grandmother Bernadette's kitchen.   I was back in her spotless kitchen with gleaming plates waiting on starched white tablecloth for the delights of my grandmothers cooking.  I could feel as if I was really there, there in her kitchen with bright sunlight and gentle breeze coming through the window. I could almost imagine seeing my grandfather working in his vegetable garden; cutting lettuce for lunch. I could almost hear my grandmother's laughter (straight from the heart, and I could almost feel like I was there with both of them; what joy.   That's how much this dish brought me home;  It was as if my grandmother had cooked it herself; and that is saying something.




I can't wait until my mother comes home to share Julia and Jacques Stuffed Cabbage! 




                             My grandfather, Joseph "Eugene"  (born in Rhoderen, Alsace, Haut-Rhin).
                                                                   A good man



Made by my grandmother when she was an 11 year old girl in Dambach La Ville, Alsace, France


My grandmother's parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment