Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Ina Gartens crispy mustard chicken



Last night I tried Ina's Crispy Mustard Chicken. I had planned on making the chicken exactly as she suggested but the young man at the small store, I frequent, must have been new because he cut the chicken into 8 pieces like I have never seen before!  He literally chopped it in 8 pieces without taking the back out or the chest bone.

 My kids laughed and kidded me about my so called "life shattering" cooking problems.  They could hear me grumble about the young man's lack of skill as I tried to save as much meat as I could.  I ended up with the chicken breasts deboned and left with chicken legs and 1 thighs (I think lol) so I had to change a bit of the cooking time for the different pieces. It was like a weird shaped puzzle with tons of missing pieces.  (I saved the bones and leftover meat for chicken stock later). 

We really liked this moist chicken recipe by Ina.  It's not fancy or exotic but tasty for a family meal.  It is very easy! 

I used a thermometer probe because the deboned breasts cook faster than the thigh and chicken leg. I first used the probe in the deboned chicken breasts. After the breasts were done I removed them and covered them lightly with foil and then put the probe in the thigh until finished.  The breasts didn't brown as well as the others of course because of less time in the oven, but it still was delicious. I guess I could have browned the deboned chicken first on the stove top but we still liked it. 



copied directly from the above link. 

Ina Garten's Crispy Mustard chicken 

Ingredients
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups panko (Japanese bread flakes)
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup Dijon mustard, such as Grey Poupon
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) chicken, cut in eighths
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the garlic, thyme, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until the garlic is finely minced. Add the panko, lemon zest, olive oil, and butter and pulse a few times to moisten the bread flakes. Pour the mixture onto a large plate. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the mustard and wine.

Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle generously all over with salt and pepper. Dip each piece in the mustard mixture to coat on all sides, and then place skin-side down only into the crumb mixture, pressing gently to make the crumbs adhere. Place the chicken on a sheet pan crumb-side up. Press the remaining crumbs on the chicken pieces.

Bake the chicken for 40 minutes. Raise the heat to 400 degrees F and bake for another 10 minutes, until the crumbs are browned and the chicken is cooked through. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

Why I liked it: 

My family liked it (most important) 
Easy!!! 
Very moist Chicken 
I will use this recipe again for deboned chicken but may brown it first a bit. (not sure) 
Normally I think Ina Garten over salts some of her dishes but I thought this was perfectly seasoned. 

Suggestion: Use meat thermometer -  I love my probe thermometer for this because I could do other things without worrying that I was over cooking the chicken




No comments:

Post a Comment