Wednesday, June 12, 2013

our families Carrot Salad or salade de carottes avec du bacon et l'oignon

The first time I ever had carrot salad outside of my home I was shocked that they used mayonnaise and raisins. My mother and my grandmother always made our carrot salad with bacon, parsley, onions and my grandmothers dijon salad dressing.  I love the old way from my family - the Alsacienne way.

My dear husband, on the other hand loves the raisin and mayonnaise version when he grew up working in a deli! So what ever pleases you regarding any dish is always the right thing for you and your family.  This carrot salad is ours: 

My mom's carrot salad 

(this is a large amount as my family usually is looking for more) cut it in 1/2 or 1/4 a recipe for your own family.  

4 cups shredded carrot (this was 8 nice sized carrots) (I used my food processor) 


10 ounces cooked bacon cooled to the touch drained on paper towel after cooking (cut up or broken) 



1-1/2 to 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley 
2 Tablespoon chopped red onion 
3 to 4 Tablespoons of cooled bacon drippings (depending on your taste)


grandmere's dijon salad dressing which has s/p already in it.  
combine mix and serve. It also is good left over 
Refrigerate 




Grandmere's Salad dressing (dijon) 
double the recipe the amount above... add until your liking: I usually add 1/4 of the dressing and mix, taste, add some more and toss until it's just right. 

Oil (I use olive for this) 4 T 
Vinegar apple cider 3 T
 my family's taste (you can use the usual 3:1 way if you like but for this I find that too oily)
1 shallot  chopped fine 
1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
1 tsp of dijon (we taste the dressing as we tend to like more dijon as a rule.. it's usually a tsp.)
s/p to taste


shake in a jar until emulsified!






No comments:

Post a Comment